[mythtv] Multiple tuner conflict resolution bug or feature?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 16 20:52:23 EST 2004

Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> writes:

[logic description elided]

I agree with the logic of trying to fit as many shows as possible in
the best possible configuration....

> But back to the situation being discussed. Let's say the
> user has card 1 on a spiffy master that she loves and card
> 2 on a piece of it slave that she despises. On Tue Jan. 19
> she has Nova "Secrets of the Crocodile Caves" ranked +3
> showing at 8:00pm and repeated at 3:00am. American I-dull
> ranked +5 at 8pm on Fox and The Tracy Morgan Show +1 at 8pm
> on NBC. With the current logic she would get:
>
> 8:00
> card1: Idol
> card2: Morgan
> 3:00
> card1: Nova
>
> Perfect 8-).

Sure, sounds great.  This is exactly how I would want it to
behave...  However.....

> If it tried to always choose the earliest showing:
>
> 8:00
> card1: Idol
> card2: Nova
> noRecord: Morgan
>
> Not so good. Even though Nova could record at a later time,
> it out ranks Tracy Morgan which is only shown once. Also,
> Nova was recorded on the crappy card rather than the good one.

Let's stick with your example, but add a third card.  I've seen
it end up with:

8:00
card1: Idol
card2: Morgan
card3: <empty>
3:00
card1: Nova

It is *THIS* situation that I'm asking about.  I see no reason to
leave an encoder blank like this (especially when they are all
equivalent cards).  Why didn't it end up with card3: Nova?  And yes,
all cards have access to the same channel inputs.

-derek