[mythtv] IR input ports on cable boxes -- how to drive?

David Shay david at shay.net
Sat Jan 17 16:24:38 EST 2004

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200 box which has an "IR" port (stereo plug) on the back.  With my Tivo (which has an IR out stereo plug on the back), I simply use a straight-thru stereo plug patch cord, and I am able to drive the box very reliably using this approach.  Note that the Tivo IR out port also accepts the actual IR blasters as well.

I have an EPIA M10000-N using mythtv.  I currently am using LIRC to accept input for my PVR-250, and this works well, but I am now trying to hook up through the digital cable box and need to either drive an IR blaster as well, or preferably use the IR port and avoid the IR blaster all together.  Does anyone know if I can use a cable which connects a DB-9 serial port to a phone plug to drive this using lirc?  If so, any idea of the pinouts?  The Tivo comes with a serial cable to phono plug cable -- would this one work?