[mythtv] Widescreen support

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Tue Jan 20 21:17:35 EST 2004

Tom Howard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone is working on widescreen support in MythTV?
> Currently it assumes the screen is 4:3 and scales the images
> accordingly, which results in a stretched out appearance on 16:9
> screens.

The current state of affairs is:
1. Video playback should handle the various aspect ratio modes
properly, possibly requiring your assistance through the "w" key
2. The GUI assumes your display is 4:3 and stretches everything
horizontally if it's not.

If you're talking about doing something about #2, more power to you,
but I think you're likely to hit problems when you encounter themes.

You shouldn't need a setting for this either... take a look at how
video playback detects the display aspect ratio.

My simple solution was to switch to a theme that doesn't have buttons
that are supposed to be round (like Blue does :-) )

-Doug