[mythtv] Bug in mythtranscode?

Bob Stafford bobstaff at bobstaff.com
Sat Jan 24 13:55:59 EST 2004

I think I've found a bug in mythtranscode and suppose this is the place to
report it.

When trying to edit out commercials mythtranscode would dump core after some
investigation I found the following.

In NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp in libmythtv around line 2957 the following piece
of code sets raw to 0.

if(raw==1 || compressthis==0)
    {
        if(ringBuffer->IsIOBound())
        {
            /* need to compress, the disk can't handle any more bandwidth*/
            raw=0;
            compressthis=1;
        }
    }

Later on around line 2661 the following code then gets executed

if (!raw)
        {
            if (wantkeyframe)
                rtjc->SetNextKey();
            tmp = rtjc->Compress(strm, planes);
        }

But as rtjc is NULL this results in a core dump.

I've currently got around this by changing the folloring definition in
Ringbuffer.cpp

#define TFW_BUF_SIZE (32*1024*1024)

so that a larger buffer prevents ringBuffer->IsIOBound() from returning true.

But this doesn't really fix the problem of what to do wen
ringBuffer->IsIOBound() is true.

Hope this is useful info.

Bob S.