[mythtv] Re: Packaging prereleases/CVS? (was: Next release?)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 27 00:30:59 EST 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 17:05, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 04:33:03PM -0800, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> On Monday 26, Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> From bug reports on the -users list, it seems a number of people are
>>> unintentionally installing the CVS rpms.  I don't think this'll work,
>>> especially as they are (built with directfb enabled, which will
>>> break on
>>> most people's machines).  How about putting the rpms someplace where
>>> they
>>> can't be grabbed automatically?
>>
>> I think part of the problem was that some people had to enable Axel's
>> bleeding-edge package repo to get the latest bttv driver, which meant
>> the cvs
>> rpms also got exposed. Earlier today, I added a note that people
>> should
>> disable the at-bleeding repo post-bttv-install to try to avoid that
>> from
>> happening (still haven't mentioned the cvs rpms in the guide either
>> ;-),
>> though I just saw that Axel has removed them from his apt repo
>> anyhow, so
>> there's no way people can accidentally install them anymore.
>
> I haven't done so yet, but that is the intention. It is sad I cannot
> use bleeding for the myth-cvs rpms.

I hate installing just about anything without apt anymore... (Had a fun
mess w/updating a new RHL7.3 install at work today before it was
aptified :-).

> Jarod, could you write in the guide to never use bleeding unless
> absolutely neccessary and unless the user is aware of the implied
> consequences? Thanks.

Certainly. I put that small bit in there today, and I'll try to get a
more elaborate verboten in there tomorrow... ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/