[mythtv] Fwd: 2 small feature requests

skrpub skrpub at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 27 23:53:06 EST 2004

Thanks to everyone who's working hard on MythTV, it's really comming
along well. I tried kidding myself that I'd look into implementing these
things myself, but well, I just don't think it will happen. So, I'm
tossing them out there and maybe someone else will pick 'em up.

First, say I'm watching live TV and am several minutes behind. A
scheduled recording time is about to arrive and the system prompts me
for the action to take: watch while recording, exit to menu, or don't
record; keep watching live. What I usually want is to allow it to
record, but continue watching my delayed live show up to the point where
it stopped to record something else. Couldn't be too hard to keep
playing from the ring buffer while recording switches to somewhere else,
is it?

Second, I notice that if I set post-roll on a show, and that causes it
to overlap another show, conflict resolution will cause one to be not
recorded at all. When shows overlap by such a short time, especially
pre-roll, post-roll, but even just regular schedule, it seems reasonable
that one show could be cut short so you get most of both. (I suppose
that means another user setting for how much can be cut before a
schedule is dropped.) What I can't decide is if pre/post roll is less
important than the show. That is, a higher priority show gets pre/post
roll cut off, instead of cutting more into a lower priority regular show
time. I guess if its set on a per-show, it should probably not cut off
pre/post roll. Global would be another story I think.

That reminds me, what happens when back to back shows on the same
channel are recorded with extra time specified? Are pre/post roll
dropped, or does one take priority?

Thanks,
Simon