[mythtv] Recorder & Output plugins.

James L. Reese jim at hosemore.net
Fri Jan 30 05:52:41 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:20:46 -0500
Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> wrote:

> On Thursday 29 January 2004 08:29 pm, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been playing with splitting up libmythtv's recorders and video
> > output classes into plugins today. I've done the attached patch against
> > tv_rec to enable plugins (missing handler for nuppelvideo), and some
> > other tiny modifications here and there. I plan on trying to do this to
> > the output classes soon also, but I wanted to "air" the idea before
> > going further. So my question is, is this something that would be
> > accepted into cvs?
>
> Had this discussion with someone else a few months ago -- I don't really see
> the point to making them plugins.  All it really adds is extra code to debug.
> Is there a benefit that I'm missing?
>
> Isaac

It would sure make it easier for those of us trying to interface to mythtv with hardware devices like the Hauppauge MediaMVP that require something besides X and XV to display things.

For example, the mediamvp needs to stream the mpeg file down a TCP channel but uses a different method for the on-screen display.  Having things in plugin form so they could be "switched out" at will would be nice.

Otherwise patching the code will be necessary to support these devices.

-----

Jim Reese