[mythtv] VideoOut Priority

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Fri Jan 30 16:42:55 EST 2004

On Friday 30 January 2004 22:18, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2004 03:56 pm, Simon Wilkinson wrote:
> > Isaac Richards wrote:
> > > The ViaSlice and XvMC methods are already higher priority than Xv, and
> > > viaslice is used in preference to xvmc if both are enabled.  Both
> > > require special setup of the decoder to work, so can't easily be
> > > selected in a priority list anyway after the decoder has been
> > > initialized.
> >
> > One thing that caught me out is that once the viaslice decoder has been
> > compiled in, it is used even if mythfrontend isn't running as root.
> > Running the ddmpeg libraries as a non-root user causes a segmentation
> > fault.
> >
> > Would it be possible to disable the viaslice driver if the frontend
> > doesn't have root priviledges?
>
> You can just turn it off in settings (3rd page of the playback settings).
> I'd hope that the root-only behavior of libddmpeg would be fixed some time.

And you can run MythTV with a non root user if you assign the correct
permissions to /dev/mem (untested - but all reasonable logic tells me that it
should work), but that's another security hole (not that it matters on a
frontend).

A while back, I was looking at the open-source via v4l driver, and there was
at least some stubs for doing the mmap on the v4l device instead of /dev/mem,
dunno if it has been fixed in recent revisions (Ivor?).

Kenneth