[mythtv] Ideas for high quality TV-out

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Jul 3 14:19:34 EDT 2004

Michael Wright wrote:
> "Interlaced modes are supported on all GeForce FX/Quadro FX and newer
> GPUs, and certain older GPUs" -from the NVidia readme.
>
> My understanding is, this just gives you good old interlaced VGA output
> on the VGA connector and will not help me achieve my high-quality TV

That's correct. The fix is to output VGA 'interlaced' modes for
monitors that support then and has nothing to do with scaled
playback of video recorded from an 'interlaced' source.

There are two kinds of people who were looking forward to the fix;
people with HDTVs with SVGA or component inputs who want to use
the interlaced modes (ex. 1080i) for their TVs, and people who
jumped to the conclusion that somehow their video playback would
be free of any interlacing artifacts.

I've seen many confused assumptions over the past few months in
several posting by the later group. In fact, I think I've seen a
couple postings already from people proudly proclaiming that their
video playback seems to be significantly better with the new driver.
The power of the placebo effects is amazing ;-).

--  bjm