[mythtv] mythtranscode request

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Thu Jul 15 10:11:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:52:56 -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 July 2004 16:02, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> > It has never been planned that mythtranscode handle anything other
> > than mpeg2/nuv.  Isaac didn't want to deal with any other formats at
> > the time, and that was fine by me.
>
> Am I wrong, or would it not be relatively easy to allow mythtranscode to
> output any format supported by the ffmpeg libraries?

Yep, you're wrong :)
Actually, it isn't that bad, but libavformat/libavcodec don't provide
a trivial api for such things, so it will take a bit of coding.  You
need something like what I started doing for mpeg2 transcoding
(actually it would probably be a bit easier if you are starting from
scratch).  In any case, it wouldn't be that hard, but I am not
particularly interested in doing it (mythtranscode fills all my
needs...or would if I could ever get the mpeg2 stuff working), and as
I said, at one time Isaac wasn't interested in having such a feature
(whether he has changed his mind or not, I have no idea).