[mythtv] Watching Live TV & method TV::GetChannelInfo getting called every second

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Thu Jul 15 14:10:17 EDT 2004

Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Thursday 15 July 2004 12:43 pm, Buechler, Mark R wrote:
>

>>Admittedly, I'm working with a two day old copy of CVS but I've seen this
>>for a few weeks now. I see on my backend mysqld running at 45-55% CPU and
>>the frontend taking more CPU than it should as well. I tracked it down to a
>>SQL statement running every second getting channel information while
>>watching live TV.
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone might know why
>>

>LCD info updater.  I didn't realize it was going every second, I'll bump it up
>a lot, or actually, now that I look at this, I don't think it's thread safe
>at all..

Sorry, had no idea that GetChannelInfo would hit the database so much.
It did this every second so you could see program info changes while
watching live tv.

So now I've got two questions because I really want this to work (and
I'm not the only one for sure).

1. Is there a way to get this channel information without hitting the
database so much? (Is there a function that does local caching of the
results for eample?)

2. Why isn't it thread-safe? I tried to model the LCD code as much as
possible on the OSD code thinking that if it was okay to update the OSD
it would probably be okay to update the LCD as well. But if you can tell
me where/how it can go wrong I'll fix it (or at least try to).

Cheers,
 -Tako