[mythtv] recording profile combinations

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jul 22 17:40:54 EDT 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 05:25 pm, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > Really would be easiest for you to go through the source -- the settings
> > code constrains all values to legal ones properly, and you'll want to
> > copy that exactly if you're going to reimplement things.
>
> gotcha, so nothing stored in just one spot.

Well, it is all in one spot (libmythtv/recordingprofile.cpp|.h) but nothing
easily extractable.  There are a few additional contraints scattered
elsewhere, I think (audio bitrate for pvr-x50 cards), but the majority of
things are there.

> > I don't really think the codec settings belong in mythweb.  I certainly
> > don't want to have yet another thing to have to update whenever something
> > minor changes in the main code, and this is a situation where getting out
> > of sync could seriously break things for people.
>
> Yeah, although it shouldn't be too hard to deal with if not many changes
> are going in.  My problem is that I want a way to look at all of the
> options within "software encoders."  I have a tendency to end up with
> default, live tv and high quality all being pretty close to each other,
> and it's slow work to copy these back and forth from livetv while
> testing, and the transcoders group once I establish a good set of
> parameters (since I want my cut commercials not to get reencoded at
> different bitrates)
>
> However, if you feel that it'd be too much stress to maintain, I'll stop
> working on it.  I just figured that there'd be some easy struct
> somewhere that described what each thing did, since in the database it
> just seems to be name/value pairs.

If you want to do it, go right ahead -- I just see it breaking in the future.
=)

Isaac