[mythtv] vps once again...

maestro waggawagga at gmx.net
Thu Jul 22 18:20:22 EDT 2004

hi lucas,

here is what jumped to my mind when i read your reply.

Am Don, den 22.07.2004 schrieb Lucas Meijer um 22:56:
> Hey,
>
> > btw. does the hauppauge pvr 250 support vbi, as this is mandatory for
> > receiving vps signals i hope it does.
>
> It does. there is some preliminary support already for it in some of the
> more recent ck versions of the ivtv driver. If I have the util output
> all vps messages I got about 1 every 20 minutes orso, thats all testing
> I've done.
>
> Now to get back on topic, how this would properly intergrate into myth
> is harder.
>
> Making a recording stop when receiving the next vps is pretty
> straightforward.
ACK

> But when do you start? In order to receive vps's you
> need to be tuned into the channel. So you should already have a card
> listening for vps before the show starts. How much before? an hour? 3
> hours? a day?
a trivial solution would be to tune into the channel when recording
should take place according to epg, and listen for the vps, as the
recording would take place from then on without vps that sounds ok for
me. this would miss events when a show starts early, for these cases i
don't know a propper solution, do you know if this is common practice by
the broadcasters?

> I'm not that fermilier yet with the mythtv code, so I don't know how
> flexible it would be to a completely different way of timing when to
> start and stop recording.
neither do i.

> It would also be a pain to deal with
> conflicts. what if the show goes on longer than expected, moving into
> the timespace of another show that was supposed to be recorded.
i cant see the problem there, this could be solved by a "simple"
priority scheme like it's allready present right?

> what if you start listening for vps an hour early, but you were too
> late? you'll keep on waiting for the vps while you could be recording,
> only to find out at the next vps that the show is over..
hm thats a tough one.
<wild guessing mode>
	why not start recording accodring to epg, and chop of the beginning
when receiving a correct vps? as you mentioned before stop recording
because of a vps event would be straitforward problem solved?!
</wgm>