[mythtv] Built in DVB epg support

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 29 22:28:58 EDT 2004

<snip>
> You are absolutly right, since there is to many transponder/transport streams
> on dvb-s, and there is no sense in sending the epg on all transponders..
>
> About the implementation specifics, I would have put a thread in a class that
> has a close connection to DvbRecorder, and make it abortable (or maybe
> pausable) as soon as startRecording is invoked in DvbRecorder, and resumable
> after a certain period of idle time (10 min?). Use qt signals for the
> communication between the two classes, to keep the loose binding.

Why would you need to stop collection of data?

You would need a flag to state weather the DVB card was being used for a recording so that the
process was not allowed to change transports but otherwise could just run as its own independent
thread.

There is a limit to the number of PIDs you can watch, but you would only be adding 1 extra to
stream the nit/sdt/eit tables into myth.  With my process you end up looking at one at a time (use
NIT tables to verify SDT completness, and SDT tables to verify what channels have EIT information
on the current transport).