[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Jun 21 11:25:29 EDT 2004

Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Thursday 17 June 2004 03:04 pm, Gary Lerhaupt wrote:
>

>>I have taken Renchi Raju's mythnews plugin, revamped the GUI
>>(borrowing from mythweather, adding a second page), and added
>>enclosure parsing/downloading to enable bit torrent downloads from
>>Myth.  I am calling this project Torrentocracy.
>>

>If you can think of a _better_ way to get this project shut down, I'd be
>interested in hearing it.  Thanks for the Slashdot story, too.  Now Myth is
>going to be associated with illegal p2p crap for anyone who read it.

Well of all the p2p "crap" out there BitTorrent actually is one that is
associated a lot with legal downloads, otherwise sites like 3D Gamers
wouldn't put it at the top of their download list (see here for the
UT2004 demo for example:
http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/unrealtourn2k4/ut2004-betademo.exe.html)

There are BitTorent plug-ins for all major browsers as well and they
don't get associated with p2p "crap" either, so why do you think that
Myth be affected (negatively) by this? I would imagine that as long as
you don't officially support it there won't be much of a problem,
wouldn't it?

And and I don't think anybody has to worry about anybody sutting this
project down, as far as I know providing the client for a p2p network
still isn't illegal.

-Tako

PS: Not that I care one bit in the end, personally I have no use
whatsoever for a p2p client integrated in Myth.