[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth

Gary Lerhaupt gary at lerhaupt.com
Tue Jun 22 10:32:58 EDT 2004

> I would like to mention that, in the past, people developing plugins
for
> myth have demonstrated the courtesy of discussing their project with
other
> developers prior to writing it; this has served three purposes:
>
> 1) avoids duplicate work of a similar or same effort is already
underway
> 2) helps to recruit other potentially interested developers
> 3) helps to gauge interest and potentially weed out projects that
will never
> be incorporated
>
> There have been other plugins that people have stopped developing
before
> they started based on this sort of feedback. This is hard to do when
you
> take the liberty of announcing your plugin to slashdot readers prior
> getting feedback from the other developers on the project. You might
want to
> consider that you slighted a few folks, at least two of which are
> unappreciative of what you've done with their work, by not
demonstrating
> this relatively normal courtesy.

I agree I could have handled this better.  However, I might add that I
did post the plugin announcement on this list four days before
submitting anything to slashdot.  I received little to no feedback
except a couple people who said they thought it was really cool.  As
well, I personally emailed a couple active people in Myth development
in order to solicit their opinions.  I only started receiving negative
feedback yesterday.

I'm also sorry if I caused bandwidth zapping for mythtv.org.  I just
assumed that any publicity would be welcome and if anything, wanted to
show deference for the large amount of great work done by others.  I
guess this was a wrong assumption.  Again, I apologize.

However, I should say that I still think this is a viable application
and worthy of development regardless if the maintainers of this
project agree or do not.  I think a lot of people see a use in it, and
I think it was a no-brainer that somebody would eventually develop
this.  Sometimes on this list I see others carping that those with
suggestions would be better off spending some time programming rather
than suggesting, I have done just that.