[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Jun 22 16:54:32 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 10:32 am, Gary Lerhaupt wrote:
> I agree I could have handled this better.  However, I might add that I
> did post the plugin announcement on this list four days before
> submitting anything to slashdot.  I received little to no feedback
> except a couple people who said they thought it was really cool.  As
> well, I personally emailed a couple active people in Myth development
> in order to solicit their opinions.  I only started receiving negative
> feedback yesterday.

I was out of town most of last week/weekend.  I still have about a hundred
unread messages on the -dev list to catch up on.  -users is even worse.

> I'm also sorry if I caused bandwidth zapping for mythtv.org.  I just
> assumed that any publicity would be welcome and if anything, wanted to
> show deference for the large amount of great work done by others.  I
> guess this was a wrong assumption.  Again, I apologize.

I've got plenty of bandwidth for the site, no worries there. =)

> However, I should say that I still think this is a viable application
> and worthy of development regardless if the maintainers of this
> project agree or do not.  I think a lot of people see a use in it, and
> I think it was a no-brainer that somebody would eventually develop
> this.  Sometimes on this list I see others carping that those with
> suggestions would be better off spending some time programming rather
> than suggesting, I have done just that.

If you had bothered searching the lists for (very many) previous times when
people had suggested P2P integration in Myth, you would have seen why I
disagree with putting something in like that.  There's a large difference
between the existing grey area parts of myth (which require the user to
provide the content externally) and integrating content distribution into
myth.

Is most of the downloadable content you're linking to useable directly within
Myth, without any user intervention?  If not, then, what's the point?  Isn't
it rather useless to download stuff that you have to [process/unarchive/etc]
manually or on another machine?

Isaac