[mythtv] cle266 XvMC support?

Herbie Hopkins Herbie at Hopkins.net
Tue Jun 22 17:35:39 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 20:08, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2004 02:30 pm, Herbie Hopkins wrote:
> > The unichrome drivers (unichrome.sf.net) now provide an XvMC extension
> > for the cle266 chipset which provides an IMO much cleaner way of
> > utilising the hw mpeg decoder than using libddmpeg. For instance there
> > is no need to run applications with root privileges to utilise said
> > driver.
>
> There'd be no need to run apps as root if the driver was written properly in
> the first place.

no argument there ;) this is clearly a design flaw. One which has been
addressed by these drivers.

> > Are there any plans to implement such code within mythtv? I would have
> > though that this would be semi trivial since support for nvidia XvMC is
> > already present. An example mp2decoder can be obtained from the above
> > site.
> >
> > Support for via_v4l_drv/libddmpeg seems to be broken with the latest drm
> > modules from dri.sf.net and afaik there are no plans to fix this.
> > Moreover support for libddmpeg will probably be removed from these
> > drivers at some point anyway so I think would be worth adding such code.
>
> It looks like all they've done is to rename the libddmpeg functions with XvMC
> in front of them and add them as an 'extension'.

While I admit to not having looked too closely at the code, I would have
thought that it could not be that simple. Eliminating the need for the
v4l module for one thing would require some fairly fundamental changes.
The sample mp2player does run perfectly well as an unprivileged user and
without the v4l driver being loaded.

> It's _not_ straight XvMC. Probably wouldn't be that hard to switch to, though.  I certainly won't be
> the one touching that code, though. =)

That's true, the standard "MOCOMP" and "IDCT" are not supported but only
a non-standard "VLD" higher level of acceleration. I'm sorry you feel
this way, maybe I'll have a look myself if I can find the time.