[mythtv] [patch] ViaSlice Interlaced Playback

Steven Cruysberghs steven.cruysberghs at tiscali.be
Wed Jun 23 13:55:39 EDT 2004

Hi Kenneth,

Great work on the Viaslice stuff. I just got my epia M10k a few days ago
and managed to get the hardware decoding to work (kernel 2.4.26-epia1
that proved v4l_via.drv, CVS unichrome driver for via_drv.o and the
opensource libddmpeg, PVR250 capture and X-resolution = 720x576). Today
I tried adding this Interlaced playback patch and the qmatrix one from
june 20.
It works but I'm afraid I the only difference I notice is a flickering
OSD when using the patches. Quality doesn't seem to improve.
The image on the TV still seems deinterlaced to me.

I case anyone is intrested :
I compared quite a few tv-out options recently and this is my personal
ranking at the moment :
1 PVR350 tvout
2 Pundit's Sis TV-out
3 Epia M10k equal to Geforce 4MX

Since the pundits with sis chipset no longer seem to be available and
the PVR350 doesn't playback anything but MPEG2 the epia seems the best
choice at the moment if you want to use all myth's modules and you don't
mind grayscale OSD in TV playback.

Steven

PS I still wonder why playing back recordings on the EPIA with mplayer,
without HW decoding, only has 40% processorload while myth has 95% and
skips.