[mythtv] DVB: Teletext & Subtitles

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Wed Jun 23 17:24:51 EDT 2004

Hi Ed!

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 22:57, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
> >I started reading through my archive of docs, but could not find a clear
> >description of how the subtitle and teletext data is coded. Has someone
> >encountered such documentation? If so, could you point me in the right
> >direction, please?
>
> I think there is old style teletext data in the standard, but this is
> broadly not used.  Then there is digital text which is a whole different
> method (most likely broadcast on the teletext pid?)

Most channels here use the teletext bit, parhaps because they still are
transmitted in analog format somewhere?

> I have a feeling that VDR might have support?  Perhaps the code can be
> ripped out of there?  Anything in libdvb from metzlerbros?

I always thought VDR only put the data off to the full-featured card, no?
What would be interresting is if one of the soft-plugins does teletext and
subtitles.

The subtitles part should be pretty equal to DVD, and the teletext is just
decoded vbi data, if I got that correctly.

Kenenth