[mythtv] 0.15.1 memory leak?

Steffen Immle immle at gmx.net
Thu Jun 24 20:51:19 EDT 2004

IvanK. wrote:
> It does, but not with the latest ivtv driver.  Try 0.1.9 instead.  I've heard
> some early ck patches work, but I cannot verify that.
>
> IvanK.
>
> On Thursday 24 June 2004 04:17 pm, Per Hatlevik wrote:
>
>>i didn't think the pvr350 supprted pip when using it's decoder...

<snip>

>>>On a related note, my Myth box (CVS as of some days ago, older versions
>>>too) runs out of memory within 15 minutes when using the
>>>picture-in-picture feature, causing the kernel to randomly stop either
>>>the frontend, the backend or both. My main card is a PVR-350, the other
>>>is an older bttv-based WinTV. From running top it seems that the
>>>frontend is consuming huge amount of memory (I have 256MB and 500+ MB
>>>swap), whereas the backend seems quite normal. This only occurs when
>>>using the PVR's decoder, not when displaying the video via the
>>>framebuffer. I also think that when exiting Live TV, the memory is only
>>>partly released. I have tested several versions of ivtv, including
>>>0.1.9, 0.1.10pre2, as well as various of the newer ck versions (71d, 94,
>>>95, ...). I actually spculated this was more ivtv's fault, but wanted to
>>>throw this in anyway. Sorry I can't give more details right now.
>>>
>>>Steffen

The memory leak is gone in latest CVS, thanks for the quick fix (yeah, I
probably should have fixed that myself...). I had it running for about
an hour without incident (as expected). And btw., this was with ck71d,
and it also worked with some of the 94 and 95 version before (except for
the memory leak). But these versions have other problems (eg. existing
recordings get distorted on playback), so I'll stay with 71d for now.

Steffen