[mythtv] Can't we use Bugzilla on mythtv.org to keep things abit more structured?

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Mon Jun 28 09:28:00 EDT 2004

Tako Schotanus wrote:

> Ah yes, the _unofficial_ wiki. Remember this? :
>
> "I rather dislike wikis.
>
> Isaac"
>
> Great resource if the main developer won't give his input to it :-)

I was talking about mythtv.info.  The feature request list is one of the
few unique pieces of content they have.

>> How often do you visit the chat room for devs?  When was the last
>> time you asked for a suggestion?  When was the last time you say "hey
>> guys I'm thinking of working on XYZ what do you think?"  You have
>> plenty of tools at your disposal without Bugzilla.
>

> Ah yes! Chatrooms! Of  course, such a treasure trove of readily
> available information.
>
> 1) this is not very useful if you are looking for something to do NOW,
> you'll just have to wait for one of the developers to come online

If you've not tried you don't know.  Lots of us are in there at odd
hours....

> 2) the developers don't know what I'm good at or like doing or how
> much time I have

Then search the mailing list.  Do some homework...  It's not like is
even remotely hard to come up with a list of things you could do without
having it listed in bugzilla.

> 3) I very much doubt that the developers have a list of things to do
> either, otherwise such a list would have been mailed to this list already

I personally have a rather large todo list.  As do most of the folks who
submit code, the thing is they're OUR lists we don't impose them on
others.  Now, if someone were to ask me "is there something I could do"
I could probably offload any number of things depending on the skill
level / time constraints. We DO converse about ideas and plans but just
reading this list doesn't give you the full picture.

> 4) Isaac dislikes Wikis, I dislike chatrooms

Then you're eliminating a large source of information.  It's not
*critical* but it helps.

Bottom line:  Would Bugzilla be helpful?  Yes!   Are you helpless
without it?  No?

Honestly, if you have to have everything handed to you what kind of
developer are you?  :-p