[mythtv] Slow MythMusic (and likely other slow list building) problem solved

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Tue Mar 2 17:18:14 EST 2004

Ed Benckert wrote:

> Right as always? What the hell is wrong with you people. I said I cant
> find it, not that its not there. I've been posting to this list for
> one frigging day, and I'm "right as always"

Well since your first post was antagonistic and you essentially said
"this code is crap" folks tend to be on the defensive.  Then when you
follow it up with more "this code is crap" style of comments, and write
up a multiple paragraphs to simply say "MythMusic wasn't properly
caching settings data so it was hitting the database too often.  This
patch takes care of that.".  People tend to get a little riled up.

Then when you couldn't find the CVS access information on the website
when the directions for doing so are in the documentation as well as the
"info/lists" section.  You went down another notch or two.

> A whole lot of people here are taking severe personal offense to stuff
> for no apparent reason.

Maybe if you'd not started off by being so antagonistic and abrasive....

> I'm now quite sorry I ever opened my mouth, and I'll be sure to keep
> it shut in the future. Any other problems I fix in the code, I'll be
> sure to keep my mouth shut about that too. I seriosuly didnt know I
> needed to watch my words and keep political correctness in mind when
> posting to a bunch of developers here.

It's not about being PC.  It's about RESPECT.