[mythtv] Next Scheduler Patch

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Mar 2 17:44:03 EST 2004

David Engel wrote:
> Nothing's been implemented, but I have been thinking about it.  I
> think the way to handle this is have the scheduler treat a card being
> used for live TV as unavailable for some amount of time(*).  This will
> force it to schedule around the live TV as much as possible.  Then,
> have the scheduler make another pass using any live TV cards as a last
> resort.
>
> (*)How long should this time be, 30 min., 1 hour, 2 hours, forever?

I was thinking along these lines too but, again, I think changing
the schedule for the sake of live TV is backwards. Instead, the
card selection (when starting live TV) should choose a card that
won't be needed in the next two hours. If all have upcoming showing
then the one with the later start time. If the upcoming times are
equal (or there are no recordings soon) then the local host. If
there are no local tuners available then the first available.

This approach would avoid having to run the scheduler each time
someone enters or exits live TV. It would also honor scheduling
decisions for preferred card while still giving the channel surfer
the "best" card whenever there isn't an impending recording.

--  bjm