[mythtv] Next Scheduler Patch

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Mar 2 17:52:56 EST 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:47:11PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
>

>>Nothing's been implemented, but I have been thinking about it.  I
>>think the way to handle this is have the scheduler treat a card being
>>used for live TV as unavailable for some amount of time(*).  This will
>>force it to schedule around the live TV as much as possible.  Then,
>>have the scheduler make another pass using any live TV cards as a last
>>resort.
>>
>>(*)How long should this time be, 30 min., 1 hour, 2 hours, forever?
>

> If you want to be very clever, I'd say "until the end of the current
> program" based on the current channel the user is watching.

Right, but that doesn't really help because the ringbuffer is
destroyed when the new recording starts. If you started watching
something live from 3:30-4:00 but had time-shifted by 5 minutes,
you might be prompted for the start of a 4:00 recording while you
are in the 25th minute of the show. If you let the recording start,
you will lose the last 5 minutes (the correct solution, for this and
many other reason is to press "R" as soon as you decide to watch
something to the end but it's impossible to convince everyone of
that ;-).

--  bjm