[mythtv] Recordings are starting late

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Mar 18 18:23:07 EST 2004

Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Thursday 18 March 2004 04:19 pm, David Engel wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 08:22:23PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
>>
>>>In additional to Matt's suggestion (which I'll leave to him), we can
>>>get rid of an extra join and some conditionals by saving callsign in
>>>the record table instead of chanid since that's what the scheduler
>>>really wants now.
>>
>>Would anyone object to this change?
>

> The callsign really wasn't ever intended to be used as an id..  I would have
> thought that the xmltvid would be a more appropriate field to use.

Been there, done that, it didn't work. The problem is that the
xmltvid is used by XMLTV as their own identifier that that the
grabber uses when it runs. It does not uniquely identify a TV
station and won't necessarily match the same station on another
channel or from a different source:

mysql> select chanid,channum,sourceid,callsign,xmltvid from channel
where callsign = 'KVBC';
+--------+---------+----------+----------+---------------------+
| chanid | channum | sourceid | callsign | xmltvid             |
+--------+---------+----------+----------+---------------------+
|   1003 | 3       |        1 | KVBC     | C3kvbc.zap2it.com   |
|   2003 | 3       |        2 | KVBC     | C3kvbc.zap2it.com   |
|   2123 | 123     |        2 | KVBC     | C123kvbc.zap2it.com |
+--------+---------+----------+----------+---------------------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Further, editing the xmltvid will confuse the grabber. On the other
hand, "KVBC" is the FCC designation for the NBC affiliate in Las
Vegas, NV. The grabber doesn't care what is in this field. Normally,
if the callsigns match it is the same station listing. However, the
user could edit this field to make sure that things which match
are really matched, or make sure they are different if the HDTV
listings has some different things than the NTSC broadcasts.

Another approach would be to have a separate field for station
matching but I don't think there is a need to mis-match callsigns
for two channels with the same listings from the same TV station.

The current scheduler will match the callsigns and if I set a
channel record for The Apprentice on 1003 it can record on 2123.
It would make more sense to say that The Apprentice should be
recorded from "KVBC". This may also help with channel lineup
changes becase "KVBC" will still match even if the cable provider
moved it to another channel number.

The question I'd have, David, is how would the trasnition work?
Users shouldn't be forced to re-enter all of their record rules,
SQL to try to update them all may be messy and would break backward
compatibility. Would it be possible to handle numbers as chanid
and strings as callsigns? Perhaps it might be good to add callsign
to 'record' in addition to chanid and prefer the callsign if present?
But then that might be counter to the simplification you are looking
for =).

--  bjm