[mythtv] Discussion: make playback available in all UI screens

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 15:11:08 EST 2004

I thought I'd start a thread to discuss ways in which the following
might be implemented: when any media playback is initiated (using a
Myth internally-supported playback mechanism; i.e., not mplayer), the
playback process will be a daemon, and the output should be available
no matter where in the UI you are.

Now, before everybody jumps on me, I do know about the new mfd stuff
Thor's been working on, and that's a step in the right direction.
However, I'm thinking more along the lines of LiveTV or
WatchingRecording... what if the video playback in Myth was also part
of mfd (or some other daemon process)?  Then the playback could
continue even if you switch to a different menu.  Kind of like the EPG
is now in LiveTV.  Any theme that wanted to could contain a "black
hole" UI element that would contain any currently-playing video.  If
there was no video currently playing, then the "black hole" would not
be displayed.  A jump point or global keybinding could take us back to
full-screen mode.  For any screen that did not have a black hole, the
playback would continue, but the video would be redirected to a null
device, or behind the window, or whatever.  You'd still get audio.

Basically, the idea is that once a media playback event is initiated in
Myth, it should only be stopped by:

- user explicit action to stop it
- reached end of playback
- Myth requires the resource (i.e., LiveTV & Myth needs tuner for
scheduled recording)

This seems relatively easy for audio media w/ the new mfd client module;
it can obviously keep the audio output device open regardless of what
you're doing in the UI; it's just the video/black hole stuff that
requires thought.

So, anybody else have thoughts on this?

-JAC