[mythtv] recording music to CD

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 26 16:02:42 EST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 15:17, Gerald Gryschuk wrote:
> This is really just a note to the author of mythmusic since I don't
> currently use the internal mythmusic CD burning option. I'd fix this
> myself but I plan on jumping in to burning DVD part of MythTV.
>
> Anyway, I just reinstalled everything from CVS so that I'd be up to
> date. I went through the settings and noticed that mythmusic is
> expecting that your ide CD burner is using the ide-scsi module. As
> far as I know this is no longer a requirement for cdrecord. I've
> burnt to CD successfully without the ide-scsi hack.
>
> Rightfully I know I should post a fix to make it work but as I said
> it's not that important to me right now. I just thought I point this
> out because I don't think everybody realizes it's not necessary to
> have ide-scsi anymore.

I don't know if I'd jump on that bandwagon just yet... my understanding
is that the native ATAPI support is still rather young (you need the
lastest cdrecord, v.2.0), and there are limitations.  You don't get DMA
support when writing in anything but RAW mode (I think most people use
DAO or TAO mode), which means the max burn speed is somewhere around
16x.  Also there are 2 types of ATAPI support; one of them (the one
that supports DMA in RAW mode) relies on a new ATAPI interface in the
2.5/2.6 kernel (unless it's been backported); the other doesn't support
DMA at all.

Much as I hate having to use ide-scsi emulation, I don't think MythMusic
should abandon it quite yet.

Maybe a configurable option?

-JAC