[mythtv] XMLTV - DataDirect patch

David Shay david at shay.net
Sat Mar 27 01:07:13 EST 2004

On Saturday 27 March 2004 12:39 am, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2004 11:47 pm, David Shay wrote:

> I would like to hold off applying any patches until your changes are
> integrated into an xmltv release, if you don't mind.

Please see my updated patch instead -- ignore this one.  Still not integrated
into an XMLTV release, but it at least no longer requires a customized
version of the grabber -- it works with the CVS version of XMLTV
tv_grab_na_dd.  I posed the question on the xmltv list about when the next
XMLTV release would be.  I will post back here when I get an answer.

> Unless, of course, you want to just ditch the xmltv stuff entirely and
> write native code in myth to handle it =)

I would *love* to -- more control over the process.  I have 2 key questions to
address -- which I posed in the other note on the updated patch and could
then probably get something written within a week or so.
1)  Would it be OK to include a perl script that mythfilldatabase would call
to retrieve the data from datadirect.  Obviously from an architectural
perspective, this already occurs when the grabbers are called.  The
difference here would be that this would be a myth-specific perl script that
would be called at runtime and need to be included in the
distribution,install routines, etc.
2)  Use memory or temporary database tables to process the file -- I am
leaning towards database tables given the relational structure of the data
coming from datadirect.  Do you care?