[mythtv] Could not Display UTF8 characters in EPG. is it a MythTV or QT problem?

almyth at sbcglobal.net almyth at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 2 07:01:14 EDT 2004

       I've spent days trying to display UTF8 Chinese characters in EPG which I added directly into the program table by using phpMyAdmin or the mysql client command line. MythFrontend could not display them correctly (shown as [][][] or ?), but I can view these Chinese characters in the program table using Mozilla/Netscape on local and remote machines by  choosing the UTF8 encoding.   However  Mythfrontend can display  Chinese characters in menus that I've translated in mythfrontend_ch.ts.

        I used myth-0.14 and the source code from CVS, neither displayed UTF-8 EPG correctly.  I upgraded to Qt 3.3.1, MySQL4.1,   tried different encoding in program table(e.g, changed the collation of title/description from latin1-Sweden-ci to  utf8/gb2312/gb18030), neither solved the program.

        Any help would greatly appreciated!  I believe it's a very small thing that caused the problem.  Maybe a line or two in MythTV that did not do encoding conversion correctly?

   I desperately need help. Thank you very much!

Al