[mythtv] Suggested change in oldrecord behaviour

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Mon May 3 16:58:53 EDT 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Ed Wildgoose <lists at wildgooses.com> writes:
>

>>Just to be clear why this would be useful (for me).  I setup stuff
>>like the Simpsons, and Friends and other stuff to record so that I
>>have an episode or two kicking around for when I am bored.  However,
>>they record far quicker than I can watch them, and then none of the
>>episodes re-record when they re-run them a few weeks later, regardless
>>of whether I watched them or not.  I would find it more useful if it
>>actually *knew* which ones I had seen, and didn't re-record only those
>>ones...
>>

>Uh, why not just use the "Delete and Re-record" feature when
>you delete the recordings?

Because it is often deleted by the auto expire...  I set it to keep no
more than say, 6 episodes, but for example we get like 12+ showings of
friends a week here (reruns).  And a Simpsons episode most days (when
it's on).  And I don't have that much time to watch tv...

So I like the idea that the ones I watch and manually delete disappear,
and the others get re-recorded next time because effectively I didn't
actually record them (by not watching them...)

Also, for films I usually don't want to set them to re-record, but
sometimes you just see something on the telly and thing, hmm, like to
see that again, and then it's annoying when it doesn't record after
all... (yes I know I could spend all my time watching the conflicts
screen and sorting this stuff out, but I'm trying to make my life easier...)

>When I single-record something I don't want it to re-record later.  If
>I want something to re-record I delete it with the "and record later"
>option.

See above.  I watch a film and it's only later on I fancy watching it
again (perhaps years later...)

>Note that if I mark something as single-record it should record it
>regardless of what's in the database.

Yes, that's what that patch in the previous email will do.

Ed W