[mythtv] main menu problems

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue May 4 10:39:04 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 05:18, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> Ed Wildgoose wrote:
> > Well to be slightly more clear, you probably had the old version
> > install in /usr/share/mythtv and the new menus in
> > /usr/local/share/mythtv...  You can edit the settings.pro file in
> > the cvs directory and change the install location to be the same as
> > your packaged version  (ie remove /local) if you want and reinstall
> > (remember to remove the old versions though or you may have subtle
> > problems in the future).
>
> I'm pretty sure Dan's referring to the fact that those menu items
> only show up if the plugin loads correctly.  If the original poster
> had looked at the output from the app he'd probably have seen a
> series of messages indicating that the frontend couldn't load the
> plugins. _______________________________________________

Not necessarily... if he didn't compile and/or install the plugins at
all, Myth wouldn't even try to load them.  AFAIK, Myth doesn't actually
load a plugin until it's requested (at least, that's how it worked when
I wrote the plugin interface, but a lot has changed since then...).  I
believe what controls whether the button shows up is simply the
presence/absence of the plugin object in the plugins directory.  It
doesn't even check for version compatibility until the plugin is
requested and a load is attempted.

Again, the answer of course is to compile install the CVS version of the
plugins.  Oh, and uninstall any previous binary RPMs for good measure.

-JAC