[mythtv] where to configure datadirect?

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 20:18:18 EDT 2004

From the CVS HOWTO:

Zap2It DataDirect is a service provided by Zap2It, a subsidiary of Tribune
Media Services. TMS is one of the primary providers for program listing data
in the United States and Canada. There are a number of advantages to using
DataDirect rather than the standard XMLTV tv_grab_na grabber.

It's much faster, because the grabber isn't downloading hundreds of HTML pages
and trying to parse the program data out of the HTML.

It contains more program information.

It's easier on the Zap2It servers, since they're not generating hundreds of
custom HTML pages when you scrape their listings.

The tv_grab_na grabber is no longer supported and will not be fixed when
problems occur.

The service is available free of charge by periodically filling in surveys
similar to the one presented during registration, and the data provider has
no intention of charging for it in the future.

If you wish to use Zap2It DataDirect, you'll need to establish a user account.
Go to http://labs.zap2it.com and click on the "New User? Sign Up" link. Read
the license terms, and if you agree with them click "Accept". The next screen
is the subscription registration. In the "Certificate Code" field, enter
ZIYN-DQZO-SBUT.

Fill in the survey, then proceed to the lineup choices and configure your
account for your particular location and the channels that you have. This
configuration will be imported into MythTV when you first run the setup
program.

See the section called Migrating from XMLTV to DataDirect for instructions on
moving to to DataDirect if you are currently using XMLTV. If you are starting
from a fresh installation, the simplest thing is to immediately start using
DataDirect.

IvanK.