[mythtv] Re: Propossed change to the ProgLister

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon May 17 06:06:40 EDT 2004

Bruce Markey wrote:

> Oscar Carlsson wrote:
>
>> BM> I think it would be better for everyone to see just the complete
>> BM> 'advanced options' page without the InfoDialog.
>>
>> At least when it comes to my girlfriend, she just wants to simply
>> select "Record this"  and  it  does.
>

> What about the very girlfriend-friendly "R" key? Map "R" to a Record
> button on your remote control. It works in lots of places. On the EPG,
> on program list pages, even during live-tv to start recording the
> current show in progress.
> --  bjm

Don't agree with this.

First of all, the advanced recording screen is way too.... well advanced
(too many options, too many things a lot of people don't even want to
know about) so the easy option should remain IMO. To make it easier for
others to find the advanced recording screen it could just be made an
option on the simple recording screen instead of a text at the bottom
telling you that pressing INFO again will get you to the advanced
recording screen. (NB: I hardly ever use the advanced recording screen,
nor the REC button, I jsut use the simple rec screen).

Secondly I still think that every option that is available as a button
should be available as a menu option as well. So if you're able to start
a recording just by hitting REC (without having to set any options) it
should be possible to do so from a menu as well. Having to hit REC
several times to get to the right recording option just isn't as easy as
selecting the right option from a menu (besides: the user would have to
know what all the different recording icons mean)

GUIs should be easy and intuitive, this might entail things as:

1. Most actions should be possible without extra input (just a button
press or menu item selection)
2. Advanced action that require extra input should have simple
alternatives for the most used cases
3. It should be possible to manage the GUI without having to learn what
each button on the remote/keyboard does
4. As an extension to 3 it should actually be possible to manage the
entire application using only the menu options

Just all IMHO of course ;-)

Cheers,
 -Tako