[mythtv] does Mythmusic audio output use myth library?

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Mon May 17 17:17:04 EDT 2004

James Armstrong wrote:

> I finally got spdif to work in mythtv using ALSA:spdif as the device
> with AC3 passthrough disabled. Mythmusic however does not work, giving
> me a Timeout opening device. A quick glance at the code makes me think
> mythmusic is doing its own audio processing, not using the newer ALSA
> direct library that mythtv uses. Can this be confirmed?

Yep, that's correct.

It's on my TODO list to merge the two audio layers though.  I have been
looking at RTAudio as a *really* nice way of doing this.  But it's Jack
handling doesn't quite work for me.

Anyway, I have written a Jack output layer, and it makes sense to try
and merge all these different audio output layers as far as possible,
but it's not entirely trivial because Mythmusic uses some stuff which
isn't in the main audio layer (eg larger buffers and an event system to
supply the visualisations with the samples at the same speed as the card).

Ed W