[mythtv] Development of MythTV

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed May 19 17:23:41 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 04:08 pm, Henk Poley wrote:
> May I then ask Isaac what are more or less the things a patch or new
> feature (etc.) must comply to, other than the obvious 'should be written
> correctly' and 'shouldn't break anything'? IMHO, MythTV is about "the
> mythical convergence", meaning bundleing of all media (video, music, news,
> photo's) into one networked system.
>
> What is your opinion to that Isaac? Or anyone else with CVS write access
> for this project.
>
> Would those ideas mean that there is "no need for, a show mouse cursor
> toggle, FireWire support (think home videos), a C# client running on other
> operating systems than linux and some other things." among other things?
> (that was quoting myself, but okay)

Those ideas mean that you should not be writing up a list of your personal
requests and presenting them as a list of things for other people to work on.
If someone wants to contribute, they should work on what _they_ want to work
on.

> I don't know if you are aware, but there are possible improvements to
> MythTV that take a bit more of teamwork to get finished. Most of the time
> these kind of things are not really "needed!!" but would make huge
> difference to the users.
>
> For example one of them is to let the backends handle the file shareing of
> MythMusic and MythVideo too, possibly much like the way the it is handled
> with LiveTV and recordings playback. I do not imply we should fork Samba or
> something, but on the other hand we could let MythTV work together with
> Samba for better security and better intergration (aka convergence).

You mean like mfd does?  Thor's done that pretty much by himself with
occasional consultation from me and a few other people.  Pretty much
everything in Myth's that way.

Isaac