[mythtv] Voice Mail addon

David George david at onyxsoft.com
Fri May 21 10:03:00 EDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Kevin Elliott wrote:

> I think you might be doing some redundant development, where you could
> be saving time for yourself by utilizing other voicemail systems that
> already take care of the basics like answering the phone, etc.

Wasn't really saving any time as I had already written most of the pieces
for other projects and just grabbed various pieces of code from different
things I have written over the last 10 years.

> For example, Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org) which many of us have
> mentioned on this list over the last 6 months.

I was thinking of that, or using vgetty/vocpsystem, but they seemed like
such overkill for what I wanted (and possibly even for a large number of
users).

> The problem for many of us with having MythTV handle the phone line
> directly, is that many of us already have Asterisk, or some other
> voip service, handling our line(s) and phone(s). It would be more
> appropriate to integrate a standardized system rather than just
> recreate voicemodem functions.

Yes, then this wouldn't be for people that have full voice mail systems
(or PBX).  Perhaps I should rename it to TAD (Telephone Answering Device).

> Someone recently built a SIP softphone plugin for MythTV. Perhaps you
> could collaborate with that person to do things like, add in voicemail
> notification from a SIP server (i.e. asterisk should be able to send
> data to SIP phones about voicemails associated with the extension),
> etc.

That would be very cool, and in the long run definitely the way to go.
Even microjunk (M$) is on the SIP bandwagon.

> I'm not trying to discourage you, but hopefully some people already
> working on voicemail and voip stuff will reply to your message as well.

Thanks for the email.  No discouragement, just trying to scratch my own
itch (without using a sledgehammer ;-) ) and thought others may be
thinking along the same lines.  This would probably still be useful for
those that want a simple, extremely easy to install answering machine with
page and caller id notification.

> Regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Elliott