[mythtv] RE:Transcoding of DVB-T recording expands the file

Martin Smith martin at spamcop.net
Fri May 21 12:34:49 EDT 2004

> Geoff wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:31:43 +0200, "Lorenz Hahn" said:
>> Hi,
>
>> - The original file was about 2 GByte large, the transcoding result
> > wasted 40 GByte.
>
> it wasted 40GB? I am confused. Are you saying that the final result was
> 40GB? That is quite odd.

Hi,

I had this as well the first time I used transcoding. If I remember rightly I
think the bitrate in the default transcoding profile was wrong. The file ended
up being expanded by a factor of about 20 by transcode to something like 25GB.
Editing the profile solved this problem.

I thought it might be worthwhile adding a sanity check on the filesize during
transcode but didn't get as far as actually doing anything about it. E.g. if
the file has expanded by X% (maybe 100%?) abandon the transcode and leave the
original file in place.

Martin