[mythtv] Transcoding of DVB-T recording expands the file

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Fri May 21 13:58:15 EDT 2004

From the reading I've been doing on MPEG-2... GOPs are not required for
a valid stream, they are only a requirement in MPEG-1. Which means we
can't depend on hardware encoders or ATSC/DVB output to always contain
GOPs.

-- Daniel

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:

]On Friday 21 May 2004 16:13, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
]> On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:31:43 +0200, "Lorenz Hahn"  said:
][snip]
]> > - The original file was about 2 GByte large, the transcoding result
]> >   wasted 40 GByte.
]>
]> it wasted 40GB?  I am confused.  Are you saying that the final result was
]> 40GB?  That is quite odd.
]
]Just for informational purposes, I tried to gopchop a DVB recording last
]night, and gopchop (gopchop.sf.net) could not find a single GOP (Group Of
]Pictures). I had to download replex from metzlerbros.de, and run it through
]that, after I'd done this, gopchop worked as expected. So it's clear to me
]that the MPEG2 stream that the DVBRecorder generates is somewhat flakey.
]I'm unsure if I'm going to do something about it or not, since It's working
]well for me, as I do not use any transcoding or cutting features.
]
]Kenneth
]mythtv-dev mailing list
]mythtv-dev at mythtv.org