[mythtv] Newbie questions about mpeg2->mpeg2 transcode.

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Sat May 22 08:38:41 EDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:20:58 -0400, "J. Donavan Stanley" said:
> Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:02:32 -0400, "Britt Houser" said:
> >

> >>Hey,
> >>
> >>I have a couple newbie questions about getting mpeg2->mpeg2 to encode.
> >> I was using the following thread as reference.
> >>
> >>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/18050?search_string=mpeg2%20-%3E%20mpeg2;#18050
> >>

> >You probably want to look at the documention on transcoding here:
> >http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.13
> >and
> >http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc21.1
> >
> >I am not sure you understand what the transcoder is for and how to use
> >it.
> >

> I'm not sure you understand what he's talking about.
>
> The MPEG2 to MPEG2 transcoding isn't quite ready for prime time hence
> the database trick to enable it.   It doesn't work ATM and AFAIK nobody
> is currently working on it.

Except that he goes on to talk about using the fifos which has nothing to
do with mpeg2->mpeg2 transcoding.

In any case, it's been long enough since I worked on the MPEG2 trans
stuff that I don't remember what is needed to enable it (as I said, while
I wrote it, I have never actually had a use for it, so it was never a top
priority).

The answer for mpeg2->mpeg2 transcoding is "Don't bother" I guess.  I'll
try to take a quick look at it this weekend, and see if the new ffmeg
stuff makes some of the problems solvable.  If he actually has an mpeg2
stream with no GOP frames, then it's certainly not going to work anytime
soon though.

.Geoff