[mythtv] 16/9 vs 4/3 dilemma.

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Tue May 25 05:32:11 EDT 2004

I'm replying to multiple messages here:

On Monday 24 May 2004 21:39, Steven Cruysberghs wrote:
> Op ma 24-05-2004, om 20:40 schreef Stephen Davies:
> > On Mon, 24 May 2004, Jon Burgess wrote:
> > That chip (BT869), at least, did not support WSS generation.
> >
> > My Asus Pundit doesn't seem to support it either.  At least Thomas'
> > driver for the SIS chip has no support.
> >
> > Which cards have chips that DO support WSS?
>
> there was talk of this on the IVTV list last week about the PVR350 tvout
> supporting it.

Also the AV711x supports this as specified in the datasheet chapter '9. Video
Output Interface'. It also support VARIS, which is the NTSC version. This
chip is used at least in some full featured (video out) DVB cards amongs them
the Hauppauge Nexus-S.

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 10:42, Jon Burgess wrote:
> Most graphics card manufacturers seem not to care too much about the TV
> out and probably use the cheapest chip they can.

The VIA VT1622 seems solid enough, with support even for progressive output.
If only VIA would release the tech datasheet for it. I have no idea if it
supports WSS, but I fired of a mail to VIA about it.

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 10:58, Ian Caulfield wrote:
> Would it be possible to 'fake out' the signal? IIRC, the WSS bits are
> placed on line 23 (for PAL, no idea about NTSC), which I think is the
> first 'half-line' in a PAL picture - would it be possible to embed the
> data on the top row of the picture and then fiddle the overscan settings
> to get the TV to pick it up?

Now this is the entire point of it, if we could find some cheap components to
edit the PAL video signal it would be great (maybe Philips has something,
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com).

NTSC does not have WSS, but some other implementation called VARIS (Video
Aspect Ratio Identification System).

Kenneth