[mythtv] Re: LIBVERSION = 0.15.0.99?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat May 29 03:29:38 EDT 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 02:16:29AM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Saturday 29 May 2004 02:08 am, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > would it be possible to have an interim versioning scheme? This is
> > useful for packaging CVS versions w/o possibly breaking upgrade
> > paths. For packaging CVS versions one must either choose the latest
> > release (e.g. 0.15) or guess what the next could be (0.15.1? 0.16?).
> >
> > Both methods have its drawbacks, the former is version-safe, but may
> > indicate CVS _before_ 0.15 and not after, and the latter is guesswork
> > which will break at some time.
> >
> > So it would be nice to have an interim versioning (e.g. 0.15.0.99
> > leaving space for a .1 release, or right to 0.15.99 perhaps), if this
> > is not disturbing in any way.
>
> The libversion changes when the library changes in an incompatible way, not
> before.

OK.

> Also, I'm having second thoughts about you packing CVS versions -- check the
> users list about people insisting they're running 0.15 when they're using a
> CVS package of yours from 3 weeks ago.

Having an interim versioning scheme would also help here.

I think the CVS packaging could be considered successful until now,
many bugs upstream and in packaging were revealed and upgraders to
0.15 report record upgrade times for 3 months worth of development. I
believe it also lifted the upgrade pressure in the last two
weeks. Users of CVS rpms are very well aware about the experimental
status and I try to bounce off any issues with these from the mythtv
lists to keep a good snr.

You know I fully respect authors' and developers' positions - if you
consider the CVS builds more harmful than helpful, I will stop
development on CVS packages (this would be good to decide at the
beginning of a new development cycle, withdrawing existing CVS rpm is
rather painful).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net