[mythtv] XvMC stability

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sun May 30 20:27:48 EDT 2004

On Sunday 30 May 2004 08:14 pm, Damion de Soto wrote:
> Hi guys,
> (Issac, Daniel & Matt in particular).
>
> Matt and I were just discussing this off list:
> He has built the 0.15 debian packages with XvMC support disabled,
> because he was under the impression this was still buggy.
>
> Daniel, how stable have the last HDTV (etc) patches for XvMC into CVS been
> ?
>
> If we default the support to Disabled (it defaulted to enabled for me) -
> does affect non-xvmc code at all ?  (i haven't looked through the patches
> thoroughly).
>
> I'd much perfer to be able to download matt's .deb packages with support
> enabled, rather than have to battle stupid QT lib problems and build my
> own.

You shouldn't have any 'stupid QT lib problems' on Debian -- if you're using
current unstable, you're using something that's identical to my dev
environment.

I consider XvMC unstable (tends to make the X driver unuseable for normal Xv
playback for me) and unuseable (16 color grayscale OSD), but that's just me.

Besides, I don't think XvMC belongs in a binary package, due to the way it
links to a specific vendor's XvMC library -- if the packages were compiled
linked to the nvidia xvmc lib, and someone wanted to use the i810 or whatever
XvMC driver, they'd have to recompile.

Isaac