[mythtv] [mythdvd] ISO Ripping

jimbo-mythtv at edwardsclan.net jimbo-mythtv at edwardsclan.net
Thu Nov 18 22:09:03 UTC 2004

Hi all,

            I am a new guy to Myth development, but I think my first patch
is almost ready for more testing.  First I wanted to run by everyone what
that thought about how this patch works.  I have made a patch that allows
MTD to rip directly to an ISO file.  From MTD's perspective, I have it set
so that if you specify a quality of -1, everything else is the same (0 -
full quality, 1+ - converted).  Does this seem like a good way of doing
this?  From the UI perspective (this is the part that I have not completed),
I just set the quality slider to -1, and it rips to ISO.  However, since
there is no Title selection in an ISO rip, this seems a little like a hack
(it is asking for the Title you want to rip..).  I am not very good at UI,
so if anyone has any ideas here, please let me know.

            As far as the actual coding goes, there is a direct dependency
on libdvdcss, which was already indirectly required.  I don't think there
would be much of a benefit of making a non-css version of the ripper, as
libdvdcss can handle unencrypted dvd's.  At this point, the patch only works
on single-session ISO-9660 dvd's (or it only rips the first session on the
dvd).  So far, for all my testing, this has worked great, but does anyone
know if there are (or even can be?) multi-session dvd's, where the movie is
stored on something other than the first session?  If so, maybe the answer
to the UI question is instead of a title-selection, there could be a session
selection?

            Assuming everything goes ok, I should have a patch posted by
end-of-week.

Thanks,

Jim Edwards

This message was modified by the e-Trans mail server
Original - SMTP:mythtv-dev at mythtv.org;SMTP:jimbo-mythtv at edwardsclan.net;
 Modified - SMTP:mythtv-dev at mythtv.org;SMTP:jimbo at edwardsclan.net;