[mythtv] Unichrome/XvMC VLD output segfault

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Nov 21 09:57:29 UTC 2004

On Nov 21, 2004, at 00:10, Terry Barnaby wrote:

>>> I'm running cvs as of Thursday, with the Nov 16 Unichrome package
>>> set from http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/ on an M10000
>>> running Fedora Core 2. The one deviation is that I'm running the
>>> 2.6.9-1.3_FC2 kernel with the DRM module rebuilt against it.
>> Don't deviate, dumb-ass. :-) Flipped back to 2.6.8-1.521 and the
>> module provided. Everything works fine now. Playing back 720x480,
>> 8000kbps video with the processor about 20% user, 35% system, 45%
>> idle.
>>> Anyhow, the frontend loads up just fine, no problems browsing my
>>> recordings library, XvMC VLD decoding is enabled in the setup, etc.
>>> However, whenever I try to play a recording, I get a segfault. Some
>>> verbose output below. I'm curious what's going on with the "No XvMC
>>> found" line... I'm assuming its a problem w/the Unichrome
>>> interaction, but all the audio stuff doesn't look so good (extra
>>> audio buffering is enabled, too).
>> Looks like the Unichrome DRM module doesn't work with 2.6.9, or at
>> least Red Hat's version of it.
>>> I'm recompiling a freshly updated cvs copy from today with debug
>>> support enabled, will get a backtrace once the compile finishes. I'm
>>> also going to try the Nov 5 package set, I've seen positive reports
>>> for that one, haven't heard anything about the 16th set.
>> Never mind. The Nov 16th package set is fine.

Okay, not completely...

> Hi,
>
> I would have though that it should have worked with the 2.6.9-1.3_FC2
> kernel.

Likewise. :-)

> Maybe the module was not compiled for this kernel or installed
> in the right place ?. If you used my SRPM you need to change the
> kernel version values at the top of the file ...

I did use your srpm, installed it and modified the spec file for the
new kernel. Everything built and installed fine.

> One thing though:
>
> The xorg-x11-libviaXvMC-2004.11.16-1.i386.rpm is broken. I have
> reverted to the xorg-x11-libviaXvMC-2004.11.14-1.i386.rpm module.
> The xorg-x11-libviaXvMC-2004.11.16-1.i386.rpm library has a fault
> where if you try and watch a second video stream, the stream does
> not appear or is jerky.

Aha, good to know. That's exactly the behavior I reported in a
follow-up. I'll revert to the 11/14 build.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...