[mythtv] Aspect ratio wierdness with 720x576 resolution

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Wed Nov 24 20:51:26 UTC 2004

I have an Epia M10K computer that i use as a frontend.
I have setup xorg.conf to use "DisplaySize 400 225", since i have a
widescreen tv set to show the picture as 16:9, and 720x576 as resolution.

Lets say i watch a recording that was recorded from my dvb card, it's a
recording with 4:3 aspect ratio.
When i start watichng mythtv sets up the screen so i get black borders to
the right and left, but the right part of the picture is cutoff.

This is easily demostrated by pausing playback and then press W key to
switch aspect ratios, when mythtv is switched to use 16:9 as aspect i can
see more parts of the picture.

My tv can switch aspect ratios between, 4:3, 14:9, Zoom, Wide and SmartZoom.
If i set mythtv to display the recording in 16:9 and i set the tv to use 4:3
all of the recording is shown with nothing cutoff.
I want to avoid that because that will force me to keep switching aspect
ratios on the tv manualy for all shows.

Any clues on what's going on here? It seems to be related to the resolution,
probably because it is not a 4:3 resolution, but that's only a guess.