[mythtv] MythMusic future plans roundup.... was: Mythmusic question (to Thor)

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Tue Nov 30 17:03:13 UTC 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 07:04 pm, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> Thor, would you be able to write a brief summary of where you think
> MythMusic will go in the future and how it will work with your mfd/mfe
> stuff? Are these two projects likely to merge into one? or will one
> obsolete the other?

 The mfd already has a GUI-less audio player. It has basicly the same decoders
as mythmusic (plus an aac-decoder). These decoders can operate on files (ie.
file://some_track.mp3) or on daap streams (ie. daap://some_track.mp3). Daap
is a metadata sharing and streaming protocol that Apple uses in iTunes.

 So anything that is about decoding, reading, writing metadata, etc. would get
copied into the mfd (either audio plugin, or somewhere in the metadata
server). Anything that's GUI or related to end user logic would end up in the
mfe.

 That's the way I think about it. Reality, being somewhat maleable, will
probably lead everything down a slightly different course.

- thor