[mythtv] contrib: myth database optimization

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Nov 30 17:02:49 UTC 2004

Asher Schaffer wrote:

>I haven't looked into this much, but I think some good automated DB
>optimizing would be a really nice addition.  Personally, my DB
>knownledge is all with Postgres not mysql, does mysql have anything
>similar to clustering in Postgres, where a table gets reordering
>according to an index?

I don't think that mysql has clustered indexes, but I suspect it would
be of minimal benefit in most cases.  The DB is not that large in most
of the tables (except the program table).

Check out "mysqloptimize" and perhaps stick it in your cron?

For optimisation, the biggest difference I saw was from turning on the
query cache.  Check the docs for details, I seem to remember that you
just need to add a line like:
query_cache_size = 4000000
in your my.cnf file?

Ed W