[mythtv] MacOS X binary

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Wed Oct 6 18:55:56 UTC 2004

It's great to see all these OS X users here!  Thanks for all your
effort, Janne!

As one of the OS X porters, I just wanted to respond to some of the
current limitations of the port:

- I have prepared a video patch that fixes the resizing problems,
honors window vs. fullscreen mode, and is less CPU intensive.  It's not
yet in CVS or in Jan's build, but I hope to get it into CVS soon after
squashing a few intermittent bugs and adding preferences for some
Mac-specific features.

- As mentioned above, CPU improvements are coming soon.  It's still
pretty intensive, but initial tests by Nigel Pearson indicate that most
of the optimization will probably be done in FFmpeg (the library used
by MythTV to decode video), rather than Myth proper.

- Interlacing has not been examined, so I don't even know where to
start yet.  Once video is playing at a decent rate for everyone, then
we'll add on the deinterlacing.

- Live TV is worse than watching a recording, even if you have a fast
connection to the backend.  Elsewhere on this list, lowering the MTU
was suggested as a possible solution; if it works for me, I'll report
back with detailed instructions.

With all this interest, the Mac build should continue to get better and
better. Thanks again,

Jeremiah