[mythtv] Re: Alsa version

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 8 17:53:14 UTC 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 02:09, Joe Barnhart wrote:
> --- Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> > Looks like that was indeed the problem on my system
> > as well. 1.0.6 is a
> > big pile of steaming... I dropped back to 1.0.5,
> > rebuilt Myth against
> > that alsa-lib-devel for good measure, adjusted a
> > setting or two, and
> > now 720p stations play back just peachy.
>
> I'm still left with unwatchable 720p here.

:-(

> It's worse here since I have to keep switching between
> Xv and XvMC output.  I can get 720p streams to play,
> sometimes, with Xv (but never with XvMC).  I can get
> 1080i streams to play on XvMC as long as I don't skip
> forward or reverse or do anything else that brings up
> the OSD (it freezes the frontend and I have to restart
> X).  But Xv simply won't keep up with 1080i with
> "only" an Athlon 2800.

Huh. I'm rather surprised, since my 3200 sits around 70% usage. However, I'm
not sure what the bus speed and cache size differences are (I'm running
400MHz FSB, dual-channel DDR-400, and 512Kb cache). Dunno how much difference
the GeForce FX 5200 I'm using makes over your GF4MX either.

> Also, 1080i on XvMC looks terrible if I send the
> interlaced signal to the screen.  It looks like it
> skips scan lines and plays it back at 540 doubled.  If
> I use the bob deinterlacer, it looks better.

I always leave the deint filters on, mostly because I still watch a number of
things that are standard-def, but that's definitely very different from what
I see when I watch 1080i stations w/o deint enabled (and a 1080i mode). I
really ought to try out XvMC, though I'm quite happy with everything Just
Working right at the moment... :-)

> On ALL
> output of Xv and XvMC I get weird motion artifacts
> that look like poor scaling -- but with 1080i input
> and output there should BE no scaling.  (I think there
> is because the stream is detected as 1088h and the
> video surface is detected as 1079h.)

CBS is 1088 for me, but no weird scaling artifacts here...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...